GPS for Nikon D800

Started Jun 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
GV56
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Re: GPS for Nikon D800
In reply to ppronovo, May 31, 2013

I researched this issue for my D800E. A recommendation that I saw posted several times on various sites was the combination of the Holux GPS locator and the Aokatec 4NIII receiver that fits on the Nikon 10 pin connector by the lens. I used this on a recent trip to Italy and I have serious criticisms of this combination. The unit was very inconsistent in connecting to a satellite, even within the same general area. Sometimes it would connect fairly quickly (1 minute or so). At times it wouldn't connect at all and often I would turn it on, get no connection and then find that it had connected well into the shoot.

The second major issue is that battery life is limited. Four days into the shoot, the low battery warning turned on. The lithium ion battery that is included (Model: HX-N3650A) is  not rechargeable and expensive. (on the website batteryupgrade.com it lists for ~$28). I also had no luck finding a rechargeable battery. So consider just how expensive it is to use this unit. Ridiculous!

So that's the bad news. The good news is that I think I've found an excellent solution in the Solmeta Geotagger N3. The unit works off the Nikon battery and supposedly (based on web research) is not a significant additional drain. It's powered through the 10 pin connector by the lens, so there's no cable interferance that occurs with units that plug into the connectors on the side of the camera body and preclude rapid tripod switches from landscape to portrait orientation. The receiver/transmitter unit can be fitted onto the hot shoe or on the camera strap, etc. It's feather weight. It consistently and quickly picks up a satellite signal. It also has an "indoor" feature, which means that if you're shooting outside and then go inside, it will retain the prior geotag info.

I think this may be a very good solution and I hope these comments are helpful.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow