D800e with 24-70 on a vacation in London?

Started May 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
MostlyHarmless
Junior MemberPosts: 42
Like?
Re: D800e with 24-70 on a vacation in London?
In reply to FtoDin5min, May 31, 2013

Carjacking was very frequent but slowed down recently because of security systems in cars. The rest of violent attacks are still extremely frequent.

Sorry, but this is just wrong - carjacking is not and never has been 'frequent'; violent attacks are not 'extremely frequent'. London is a very large city and even high-looking absolute numbers translate into a very tiny risk. Even lower if you take out the drunken late night fights and the intra-criminal violence (neither of which, I'm guessing, typical visitors are planning to get involved in).

It's slightly ironic that the heavily-touristed areas which everyone is saying they feel safe in, are the highest crime areas in the city; and London is one of the highest crime areas in the UK.

UK Crime Map

Met Crime Map

I've lived in the UK - including London and other large cities, and rural areas -  for 51 years and apart from witnessing the odd outside-nightclub fight, have seen no violent crime at all; I've had one car radio stolen and a shed broken into. I've also lived, worked in and visited large parts of Western and Southern Europe, North Africa, the Middle East, India and the Western USA, and I haven't seen any crime there either. Most of the world is basically very safe if you use your brain and standard common sense. (We've seen a number of US residents expressing concerns about Europe lately - but there's no shortage of Europeans who think the US is dangerous too.)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow