In reply to amalric, May 31, 2013

amalric wrote:

Pic Man wrote:

amalric wrote:

Alumna Gorp wrote:

amalric wrote:

Alumna Gorp wrote:

QuakeO wrote:

I found your review very helpful. I ended up getting the 30mm, and the pan 14mm which came with a body. That way the family walking kit has expanded to an EPL5, GF3, 14mm, 30mm, and 40-140mm. That's pretty good coverage and quality at a good price, I think!

A lot of those 14mm lenses are cheaper bought in kits

The 14 and the 30 is a good choice.

And so is the 19mm, which sits in the middle.

Am.

-- hide signature --

It sure is, I use the 14mm, 19mm and 45mm, my next prime will more than likely be the Sigma 60mm, and I will pass on the 30mm.

We are all different

Nevertheless it is important to defeat lens snobism. Those lenses are a steal.

Unless you are a bokeh maniac, with a high sensitivity sensor what matters is their resolution wide open, which compares with the best, at a fraction of the price.

Sigma has also increased quality control, to avoid sample variation - I read.

Am.

-- hide signature --

It's not lens snobism (at least not for everyone). I have a 25 f1.4. It's not just about resolution or even bokeh (although the shallower DOF is nice to have). You can get a significantly faster shutter speed in low light with a f1.4 or even f1.7 than f2.8. The simple fact of the matter is, your paying for the speed. One lens is not better value than the other. Also to say the sigma lenses are a steal depends on your perspective. If you own a panasonic camera you may think that the wide end of the kit zoom is close enough in speed and has OIS. The 19mm might just be a waste of money.

Can't you even read? I mentioned HIGH sensitivity sensors, which offset the need of large apertures, by raising automatically the ISO.

Which in turn reduces the IQ whatever sensor you have. Sure you can shoot at ISO 3200 but I'd rather shoot at ISO 800.

Therefore no need of fast, but POOR RESOLUTION lenses at max aperture, like the PL, for FIVE times the price of the Sigma - LOL!

But at least it goes to 1.4. It gets much sharper as you stop down even a little and it's still not bad at 1.4. It's not five times the price where I'm from, 3 maybe. Still rather have the 25 and a kit zoom over 4 or 5 sigmas at different focal lengths.

Conversely at 2.8 the PL and the Sigma have the same resolution, so go talk about the waste of money...

Resolution isn't everything. I also didn't say it was a waste of money, I said it might be depending on what you own.

LOL, oh no wait it's not that funny.

Am.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow