DA*16-50 should I get it? New, or lightly used?

Started May 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Brentliris
Senior MemberPosts: 2,992Gear list
Like?
DA*16-50 should I get it? New, or lightly used?
May 31, 2013

I must say I love my ltd primes. But there are times when outdoor shooting conditions makes me really hesitant to use the lenses in my collection. I remember one time I was at a dam site where things were all dried up. The dust was horrendous, fine silty rock dust blowing around. The scene was ghostly, awful but photographically interesting. I needed a dust mask for my self, and a WS lens. I had neither, but took a short few shots with one of my old manual lenses..

Snowy salt blowing conditions in winter here in Copenhagen is another situations which makes me leave the camera and lenses at home..

Beach scenes on windy days on the west coast of Jutland which I also often visit makes me feel Im nuts when I take the chance and use my Ltd lenses.

In these situations Weather Resistance just doesn't cut it. I'm thinking that really the only choice for landscape under dusty or really wet mixed with grit situations is the DA'*16-50.

I hate the idea that it's bulky and heavy, earlier prone to SDM failure. But when you've got a location that you don't visit very often that's just crying to be photographed. Taking one beasty lens and nothing else but say the cheap and expendable longer prime like the M 200 F4 is acceptablely low weight as a two lens solution..

Any landscape photography users of the DA* 16-50 have any inputs on this matter? Too heavy, Image quality issues for example flare, PF?

Thanks in advance for any help!

-- hide signature --

Reflections, understandings, discoveries and intimations..

Brentliris's gear list:Brentliris's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K200D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +4 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow