Tilt and shift lens with adaptor using XP1

Started May 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,317Gear list
Like?
Re: To Rene & Baobob
In reply to Rene Delbar, May 30, 2013

Hi Rene & Baobob,

Thanks for your responses and  the link to Ken Rockwell's test of the 17/18mm lenses.  Very interesting.  It seems that the older MF Tokina 17mm/3.5 performs somewhat better than its ATX successor......  And as far as I can see in his test shots, it performs as well as any of its more expensive competition once stopped down to f5.6 and more.  I wouldn't actually envisage using the lens wide open anyway.  I'm planning to use the lens for tilt as much as shift.  This won't be quite as demanding on coverage at that FL, so the fact that the edge is reached quite suddenly probably won't affect me as much as someone using shift more.

Rene, there are AIS 20mm/2.8s surfacing in e-Bay reasonably regularly, even if they're not common.  They are rumored to be slight better than the AFD lens, but I've seen no data on this.  I'm probably also going to look for a AIS 24mm/2.8 too.

The other lenses I'm interested in (again for tilt) are the old Nikon shift lenses.  Some reports indicate that the 28mm doesn't do so well on digital - gives color fringing if shifted too far.  The 35mm f2.8 is reported to be good.  It's quite small as shift lenses go and relatively inexpensive.  The later models are better (Orange f22 mark, black shift knob with scale on screw).  They're on e-Bay for about $350-450.  Cheap because no-one wants 35mm shift only lenses when 24mm TS is available.  They should be good on the TS adapter - they offer huge coverage, a good flat field, and a FOV around 50 mm.

FYI, another good site for Nikon lens test information is Bjorn Rorslett's site : www.naturfotograf.com/lens_surv.html‎   If this doesn't work, just google 'tests of nikon lenses' and it comes up, a few entries down.   He also reports on MF Nikon lenses and their many production variants. My apologies of you know about it already.......

Thanks again.  Happy experimenting......

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow