Ricoh GR owners. AF speed, Iso question. And rx100 comparison?

Started May 30, 2013 | Questions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Regular MemberPosts: 165
Re: Ricoh GR owners. AF speed, Iso question. And rx100 comparison?
In reply to Magne Nilsen, May 30, 2013

Magne Nilsen wrote:

RX100 28-100mm Zeiss 1.8 lens is quite good, but can't compete with a HQ fixed 28 mm like on the GR - at 28mm. Obviously the fixed 28mm will not let you zoom at all.

Autofocus wise I find the RX100 to be surprisingly good, maybe even better than the GR in some situations. I have only spent some minutes with the GR, but it was good too.

You can compare a GR to a high-end APS-C SLR with a HQ 28mm fixed lens, and it will fit in your pocket, but IMO you can compare a RX100 to a medium quality APS-C SLR with a kit zoom lens, and that is also quite an achievement, considering that it too will fit your pocket.

Thanks for the feedback.

I've been using my x100 lately for casual street shooting (i.e. whenever i go out of my house i take the camera with me), mostly taking quick snapshots, from the hip pictures - you get the idea. I'm mostly using the 28mm-equivalent focal length for that. So, given the similar form factor, i'm pondering the idea of selling the RX100 and getting a GR. I would have a qualitative jump in IQ because of bigger sensor size, but i'm not so sure about operational speed, particularly AF, which the RX100 is really fast for a contrast detection compact.

-- hide signature --

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow