Ricoh GR owners. AF speed, Iso question. And rx100 comparison?

Started May 30, 2013 | Questions thread
nico-foto
Regular MemberPosts: 165
Like?
Re: Ricoh GR owners. AF speed, Iso question. And rx100 comparison?
In reply to Magne Nilsen, May 30, 2013

Magne Nilsen wrote:

RX100 28-100mm Zeiss 1.8 lens is quite good, but can't compete with a HQ fixed 28 mm like on the GR - at 28mm. Obviously the fixed 28mm will not let you zoom at all.

Autofocus wise I find the RX100 to be surprisingly good, maybe even better than the GR in some situations. I have only spent some minutes with the GR, but it was good too.

You can compare a GR to a high-end APS-C SLR with a HQ 28mm fixed lens, and it will fit in your pocket, but IMO you can compare a RX100 to a medium quality APS-C SLR with a kit zoom lens, and that is also quite an achievement, considering that it too will fit your pocket.

~~~~
Magne

Thanks for the feedback.

I've been using my x100 lately for casual street shooting (i.e. whenever i go out of my house i take the camera with me), mostly taking quick snapshots, from the hip pictures - you get the idea. I'm mostly using the 28mm-equivalent focal length for that. So, given the similar form factor, i'm pondering the idea of selling the RX100 and getting a GR. I would have a qualitative jump in IQ because of bigger sensor size, but i'm not so sure about operational speed, particularly AF, which the RX100 is really fast for a contrast detection compact.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/nicolasraddatz
www.nico-foto.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow