6D USA Warranty from a non-authorized Canon dealer?

Started May 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DPReview007
Regular MemberPosts: 128Gear list
Like?
6D USA Warranty from a non-authorized Canon dealer?
May 30, 2013

Getitdigital on eBay is selling the 6D for $1,625 (some days / weeks even cheaper.) They purchase the 6D (USA model) with the kit lens, remove the kit lens, sell it separately, and thereby able to sell the body a lot cheaper than e.g. B&H. I also get 10% off (up to $100) from eBay through a coupon, so I’d end up paying only $1,525. Sounds like a pretty good deal, right? The camera comes with a Canon USA warranty card.

However, they are NOT an authorized Canon dealer. So I called Canon to check.

Call #1: A sales person at Canon told me the fact that getitdigital is NOT an authorized retailer voids the warranty. They say the warranty is not transferrable, and it is to the original purchaser (getitdigital) only, who bought the camera from an authorized retailer / form Canon originally. Is this right? The camera is a USA model. The Canon lady who told me this was a sales rep who tried to sell me the 6D.

Call #2: I called Canon tech support and talk to a repair guy. He told me it does not matter that the retailer is not an authorized retailer. As long as the serial number is a serial number matching the one on the Canon USA Warranty card that comes with a camera, I should be good. I would also need to present the receipt, but it does not matter that it is with a non-authorized Canon retailer. The only thing that matters is that the 6D is a USA model, and has the Canon USA warranty card. The sales receipt will show the date of my purchase, and the warranty will be good for a year from that date.

Any views / experiences with getitdigital / other non-authorized Canon retailers here and how that impacts the warranty?

Thank you!

DPReview007's gear list:DPReview007's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +1 more
Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
TrueNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow