Started May 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 19,066Gear list
Like?
I think I might have found the ultimate shutter-shock terminator
May 30, 2013

See here for further info and here for the offer on German Amazon that I took advantage of.

I have only done rather limited testing so far, but my initial results with the 75/1.8 on the E-M5 are very promising. Sharper shots at 1/125 that I can ever remember getting at that speed before. I just hope I am not shouting "hey" too early.

Sometimes you come across solutions by chance, but in this case it was actually a matter of deductive logic.

Question: Why does the shutter shock cause blur?

Answer: Because the camera moves (rather than vibrates; it's a shock we are talking about) a little bit, because it is virtually impossible to eliminate that movement (according to the laws of physics, momentum must be preserved and it is likely to be absorbed by your hands rather than by something bigger and heavier, like your whole body), and because the movement is too fast for (most) stabilization systems to correct for it.

Question: How does the camera move?

Answer: Principally, the movement can be of two different kinds: Translational (in this case vertical shift) or rotational (change of vertical angle, i.e. change of pitch).

Question: How do these two types of movement relate to blur?

Answer: Translational movement will hardly cause any blur at normal shooting distances unless it is large (and it isn't in this case). It becomes of significance only when shooting at very close distances. Rotational movement, by contrast, will cause significant blur at any distance even if the movement is rather limited.

Question: How do you hold the camera so a to maximize the likelihood that the inescapable movement takes the form of translational rather than rotational movement.

Answer: By holding it so as to prevent the shutter from forming part of a moment arm similar to the moment arm that makes the tip of the barrel of a pistol (or rifle) move upwards when it recoils. In the case of the pistol, the barrel is above the grip and the recoil effect towards the rear. This yields a moment arm. In the case of the pistol grip on a camera, by contrast, the grip is directly underneath the shutter and the movement of the shutter up/down so that no moment arm is created.

Now I am just hoping that my logic is in order.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow