Why are so many photographers going out of business?

Started Apr 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Contributing MemberPosts: 764Gear list
Re: Why are so many photographers going out of business?
In reply to PenguinPhotoCo, May 30, 2013

PenguinPhotoCo wrote:

You have a few examples but nothing 'general'. Like saying 'I saw 5 year old playing guitar like van halen so all 5 year olds can play guitar like that - given a chance'

Not so, just like not every football player will be an NFL star.

Yes, email is impersonal and we are in a personal business. And yes, older folks are not as internet savvy as young people. And when it's not cloudy it can't rain.

There isn't really a connection there. The 'younger generation' has to be cultivated into photo customers or we're doomed. I don't get many grandmas buying weddings pics, soccer pics, senior pics.  I have lots of money - but i don't buy childrens books or flowers or earings.

Money isn't the issue. Sure, for 25% of the population it is, but the other 75%? Nope. it's a choice - people choose not to spend money on a pro, or choose to spend as little as possible.

To be a successful businessman (photographer or earing salesman) you have to get enough customers to spend enough money with you.

-- hide signature --

Vision without execution is hallucination. T. Edison.
My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value

Fundamental problem is that things come and go, this is not a single people's issue, big corporate all have the issue, it is a matter to adapt to the change.  The way I see it is that today quality difference between a common pro and good amateur is not that much and often some new comers probably propose styles a little more latest, and they get to try.  Photography is an old business, and not all the old business can operate the same old way.

There used to be leather jacket for all the cellphone but today consumer spending taste and pattern change, and who cannot adapt to change should not complain to those who can adapt it.  There are still quit many successful photographers pocketing good to huge money. I would say the biggest issues is that many (not those on the top end) professionals can't offer visibly superior quality than good amateurs (not those bad ones) or the new young professionals that they often more current and can often some experience they lack of.

-- hide signature --

Regards, K

 Khun_K's gear list:Khun_K's gear list
Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246) Phase One Capture One Pro
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow