Tilt and shift lens with adaptor using XP1

Started May 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rene Delbar
Regular MemberPosts: 328Gear list
Like?
Re: Tilt and shift lens with adaptor using XP1 - Stitched panorama
In reply to Rod McD, May 30, 2013

Rod,

I only have used the RMC version (that I got for an excellent price) and have no direct experience with the ATX orATX-Pro variants (that add a.o. autofocus).

The RMC coating definitely brings a contrast improvement over the even older SL version.

The ATX-Pro model (77mm filter mount) has the same 11 elements/9groups optical design as the SL/RMC, but with one molded aspherical and one low dispersion glass lens: that should improve the image quality, especially at wider apertures. I don't know for sure if the "regular" ATX version (72mm filter mount) already has these lenses as well.

I very much like the RMC results, though they show some weaknesses: low contrast at f/3.5-f/5.6, and a "tight" image circle rapidly showing light fall-off and blurring at the corners and edges of the FF image field (already visible on a FF camera like the D700). Performance at the edges of the image circle, of course, are important hen using shift.

So far I found that 7 to 8mm shift along the long edge of the image frame is doable.

I have been looking out for a 20mm AI-s for a long time, but so far without success... I am hoping to soon get my hands on a second hand Nikon 20mm f/2.8D copy. That lens is not always highly regarded but many others love it. I am looking forward to see how it compares to the Tokina. A few mm extra shift capability easily makes up for the smaller field of view...

-- hide signature --

René
renedelbar.blogspot.com * 500px.com/rdelbar * www.pbase.com/rdelbar

Rene Delbar's gear list:Rene Delbar's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow