OM-D E-M5 vs E-5 (build quality)

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Sergey_Green
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,130Gear list
Like?
I sometimes wonder where you get that inspiration .. ;)
In reply to philosomatographer, 11 months ago

philosomatographer wrote:

Even if you desperately cling to equivalence, I'd like you to show me the full-frame lens at 28mm and f/5.6 that can do this, right into the corners. Seriously, I will shut up about the superiority of these lenses when I see them matched in a sample image, across the frame - otherwise, I will maintain that all the posts that attack my claims are just trolling):

As I said, 24-70/2.8 hardly gets any use so far. I did use however Sigma 35/1.4 @ f/5.6 and it does look pretty much equal in the extreme corners. I don't think 24-70/2.8 would be any different.

This image you post, again, shows rather aggressive sharpening.

The fact of the matter is, as we get access to higher-resolution sensors, the SHG lenses show undeniable optical superiority over the best that Nikon, Canon, and Zeiss/Sony have produces thus far. That's why they are so expensive, that's why they are so large in relation to the sensor, and that's why we put up with the limited, small sensors of this system.

Whether it will or will not remains to be seen, but generally 2/3rds frame will extend deeper into the corners than the 4/3rds frame, and it is hardly unusual to occasionally see softer in comparison to he rest of the frame corners. The 4/3rds simply crops those extremes off.

BTW - Sergey - note the complete lack of visible light falloff. The Tamron you've been promoting as being "equally good on full-frame" has 2.7EV light falloff in the corners at this aperture (2.8) - despite the modest "1 stop" you claim (see e.g. the LensTip tests), and comes nowhere near this ability to resolve small details in difficult light with this level of perfection. If you don't see it, you are ill-equipped to be commenting on these matters.

There is optical vignetting, and there is pixel vignetting, and because you may see occasional darker corners does not necessarily mean that the lens "did" it. I personally do not see it a drawback when shooting wide open. As I said above, you simply get cropped off corners on the more square looking (4/3rds) frame. Many compacts take great advantage of this same format as well.

-- hide signature --

- sergey

Sergey_Green's gear list:Sergey_Green's gear list
Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Hmm.New
Yup!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow