Is it wrong to be offended?

Started May 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Dylan Johnson
Regular MemberPosts: 143Gear list
Like?
Re: Your worth as a photographer is what the market wants to pay
In reply to JulesJ, May 30, 2013

CaptiVision Photography wrote:

Yes, I think it would be wrong to be offended.

There are two possible outcomes:

1. She will get what she wants at the price she wants to pay.
    In this situation you should be worried about your future income if she is representative of your potential clients.
  2. She will not get what she wants at the price she wants to pay.
    Then this is no threat to you.

I think that your reaction is typical of many photographers who think that their prices should be based on their equipment investment, training and skill, and not based on what the market wants to pay.

Do you not agree that the prices should be based on your equipment, training and the quality of the finished product?

Not the equipment. Most non photgrapgershers woud know how to judge the equipment anyway, plus anyone can bu a £2k dslr.

Training? I know some massively successful portrait and wedding photographer's who had litte or no training, but have learned the job by doing it for many years.

The finished product...yes.

If we all based our prices on what the markets wants to pay. No money would ever exchange hands
--
Canon 50d gripped, 70-200 f2.8L IS USM, 50mm f1.8, 18-55 f3.5-5.6, 430ex II, Carry Speed FS Pro Sling Strap

I disagree. And I disagree because yes, anyone can go out and buy a 2k camera, but the training that they've put into learning how to use it, that's what you should be paying for as well. And when I say training I don't necessarily mean formal training, sefl taught is still training, and when you're self taught, there's usually a lot more training you have to do than if you went to school.
--
Canon 50d gripped, 70-200 f2.8L IS USM, 50mm f1.8, 18-55 f3.5-5.6, 430ex II, Carry Speed FS Pro Sling Strap

Dylan Johnson's gear list:Dylan Johnson's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow