ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
alexk1
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
D7100 sensor cleaning experience
11 months ago

Hi,

I recently picked up a d7100.  Prior to the d7100, I was shooting a d200 and a d70 before that.  Using the d7100 has been a joy.  This is a hobby for me.  I mainly shoot family portraits and my kids sporting events.  This past weekend I took a trip to Philly with the family and shot a number of images with a smaller aperture starting from f/11.  When I came home i found that after a certain point the images had a sizable piece of dust in the upper center (landscape orientation).  No problem, I took out the bulb and it easily blew off.  Unfortunately, in my test shots I found 2 other spots which were not in any of my previous pictures.  These I could not blow off.  Even at f/8 I can faintly see these two spots (mid to upper left).  They are not tiny in the images.

I have plenty of experience wet cleaning sensors.  I remember for the d70, I used to wet clean it ever month or so using copper hill's kit without issue.  That camera was a dust magnet.  With the d200, I never cleaned it   I just took a look at my d200 and it has plenty of spots but they are not visible until f/14 which is why it never even caught my attention as I generally shoot f/8 and up.

Seeing as how the top layer on the d7100 sensor is slightly different, I was hoping to get other people's experience/advice on cleaning it.  Have you used eclipse fluid on your swab's?  Anything I should be aware of before I do it?  Anyone use copper hill's kit (with quick-strips) on the d7100?

Thanks,

Alex

Nikon D200 Nikon D70 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow