D800e with 24-70 on a vacation in London?

Started May 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
57even
Senior MemberPosts: 6,041Gear list
Like?
Re: D800e with 24-70 on a vacation in London?
In reply to quadraticadder, May 30, 2013

quadraticadder wrote:

Hello all.  I'm going on a vacation to London this summer, and I'm worried about taking my D800e with 24-70 kit because of the chance that it will get stolen.  Am I too worried?  Should I leave it home and take a lesser kit (d90 with 24-200 VR, or gasp! a point and shooter?).  I'd leave it around my neck at all times if I took the d800e, and have it insured, but it will stick out like a massive temptation to pick pockets.  I've heard stories of thieves unlatching the lenses, etc.  Opinions?

Thanks,

Steve

I live in London and have done for 18 years. Not had a problem so far and I have walked all over with a camera round my neck. Currently a D800, but previously a D700 and plenty of other expensive looking gear.

There are parts of town only a fool would try and walk through at night unaccompanied, but they are some way out from the areas you are likely to be walking and if you find yourself there, you are probably lost. You certainly would not be going there for a reason.

In the daytime, most central areas and just about anywhere on the river are pretty safe.

The thing to be careful of is simply leaving it where someone can grab it and run, especially in bars and restaurants. In the summer, many have seating outside and people will lose phones and tablets off the table because they are not paying attention. Just put your bag between your feet with a leg through one of the straps, and don't leave it unattended.

And remember, pickpockets like easy targets. Just don't keep wallets and phones in your shirt pocket or rear pants pocket like I see some tourists do. And if someone tries to distract you ignore them or tell them to bog off.

57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow