D800e with 24-70 on a vacation in London?

Started May 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
A Owens
Senior MemberPosts: 2,188
Like?
Re: D800e with 24-70 on a vacation in London?
In reply to quadraticadder, May 30, 2013

quadraticadder wrote:

Hello all.  I'm going on a vacation to London this summer, and I'm worried about taking my D800e with 24-70 kit because of the chance that it will get stolen.  Am I too worried?  Should I leave it home and take a lesser kit (d90 with 24-200 VR, or gasp! a point and shooter?).  I'd leave it around my neck at all times if I took the d800e, and have it insured, but it will stick out like a massive temptation to pick pockets.  I've heard stories of thieves unlatching the lenses, etc.  Opinions?

Thanks,

Steve

You should not be worried other than taking the common sense precautions appropriate for every major city in the world. Petty crime is not a major issue in London. It is the banks and large corporates one needs to be more concerned about.

Indeed these days it seems to me you stick out somewhat walking through London without a camera.

That said, if you have a small point and shoot I would suggest you also pack that. A big DSLR system is very inconvenient in the busy parts of London. Knightsbridge, Piccadilly, Trafalgar, Oxford St, etc. etc. - there is barely enough room for you on the pavement let alone a big camera around your neck or a camera backpack.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow