Why does nikon....

Started May 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
Ted Kahn
Regular MemberPosts: 218
Like?
Re: Why does nikon....
In reply to sshoihet, May 30, 2013

sshoihet wrote:

The 35mm equivalent for fixed lens cameras isn't meaningless, it gives the average buyer a (somewhat arbitrary) baseline to compare each camera.  How is the average person going to easily compare two compact camera focal lengths when one has a 1/2.3" sensor and the other has a 1/1.7" sensor? If they like the FL of their smart phone, how are they going to know what the length is on a P&S?

My S96 is 6mm at the wide end VS ~4mm for my phone... that is of almost no use to most people; they are both the same equivalent length.

It makes sense to have a standard way of making the comparison, but I don't think 35 mm equivalents convey any useful information to most people.  It just seems to cause a lot of confusion.  For cameras that don't have interchangeable lenses the manufacturer could give the angle of view, or the range of angles if the camera has a zoom lens.  For cameras with interchangeable lenses it's usually easy to look up the angle of view for any lens on the manufacturer's website.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
TrueNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow