Upgrade K-5 to K-5 II(S) or to something else ?

Started May 30, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jf_tea
Contributing MemberPosts: 852
Like?
Upgrade K-5 to K-5 II(S) or to something else ?
May 30, 2013

Hello,

I would like to get feedback from other users who have upgraded from the K-5 to the K-5 II or II S.

My experience with Pentax started in 2010, with the K7 and a few Limited lenses (43, 70, 15). I really like the built, ergonomy, view finder, WR, and, small size of the K7 and K5. Those qualities and the Limited are the reasons why I chose Pentax DSLR, and, why I keep using them.

Now, I'm very happy with the results with the K-5 and those Limited lenses for travel photography (see Japan  and Thailand  in my Flickr), for static subjects, or, portrait. All of that is excellent under natural daylight or dusk /dawn, or, bright light (stage floods or fluorescent lights inside buildings).

My main gripe with the K-5 is the AF in low light, especially under yellowish artificial light (Tungsten, Sodium street lights, ...). My second disappointment is the slowness of AF-C under some circumstances, such as tracking people walking toward the camera (the focus point is often behind the eyes, where I aimed the focus point). (NOTE: Please avoid suggesting obvious technical tips -- I've been working on that technical challenge on too many occasions, and, believe that I have already improved the basic aspects. I now get results that indicate sluggishness in the K-5 AF-C or limitations of the screw drive. Other photographers beside me had much better AF results than me, even with older Canikon gear). The pictures of models  on the catwalk  in my Flickr are those that had good focus.

I'm very interested to upgrade to the K-5 IIS, but, I'm wondering if the E-M5 or D7000 or D7100 might not serve me better for some applications (focus in bad low light and focus tracking). I would rather continue using those fabulous Limited though.

I'd like to read about your experiences for such uses (low light, AF-C) with the K-5 II.

thanks,

-JF

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow