D800e with 24-70 on a vacation in London?

Started May 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,586Gear list
Like?
Re: D800e with 24-70 on a vacation in London?
In reply to arizonadesertrat, May 30, 2013

Hello,

You will be probably not experience camera theft or personal safety issues in London, unless you find yourself in the bad areas of town,  of which I have been told,  there are many these days.

And if you do not blend in with the local ethnic people in the area,  and you look like a tourist then:

I suggest considering these  products if you are concerned about camera theft:

http://pacsafe.com/camera-travel

Last year when I was in Manila, Phillipines, the very event you described and fear happenned to me. I was walking down a crowded street with camera bag on my shoulder, Canon 5DMKII and 24-105L  in my hand, looking at something to photograph, when unexpectly a guy on a moped grabbed my camera bag by the strap and his accomplice following behind him on another moped tried to cut the camera bag strap with a knife.

But he failed to cut through the Pacsafe strap and he lost control of his moped and crashed into a fruit stand when I yanked back on the strap.   Fortunately, a couple of policemen were on the spot and beat the living sh*t out of him before cuffing him.

It has been quite a few years since traveling to Lobdon, , but I have been told there is a lot of organized crime and a particular ethnic group in  European cities like London, Paris, Rome, and Madrid just to name a few of the major European cities with high pick pocket activity, and tourist muggings.   I have heard these people, adults and children, are experts at their craft, and can easily relieve you of your wallet, watch, and camera gear  unbeknownst  to you.  I forget how the scams works though.  But very common tricks these people use.

Someone suggested carrying your camera in a backpack. I do not recommend that unless it's only for transporting your gear.  Not for being on the street ready for photography , unless you are going to put the bag down to get to your gear.   I would advice against that in crowded cities.    Same for sling bags but a bit better to use on the streets.  Unless it is the kind of bag  that opens against your back.

There are people in every country that will mug or kill you for the camera you have.  Can't be too  cautious when travelling to areas one is unfamiliar with.   Especially if you look , act, and dress like a tourist.   Someone mentioned carrying camera insurance .   Better yet carry life  insurance.     

Enjoy trip.  Bring your best gear.

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow