18-135 vs 18-105

Started May 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
bflood
Contributing MemberPosts: 585
Like?
Re: 18-135 vs 18-105
In reply to Skiies, May 29, 2013

Never tried a 18-105 but I have the other two. The first 18-135 I saw was on a demo D80 in a Circuit City (remember them) and it was AWFUL! I pointed it at the array of rectangular windows at the front of the store, and the barrel distortion at 18 mm was amazing - I was astonished that Nikon would produce a lens that bad. Then I zoomed to 135 and was just as amazed at the pincushion. I was considering the D80 at the time and decided not to buy because of the lens.

Then Santa (or more accurately, Mrs Santa) gave me a D80 that Christmas. When I saw the box, my reaction was "oh no! how do I explain to her that the lens is junk?" But when I looked thru the lens on the gift D80, there was no distortion visible in the viewfinder! And it turned out to be an all-round excellent lens.  So - take this away from here - they aren't all created equal - try the lens on your camera before you buy.

I got the 16-85 despite my high opinion of the 18-135 mostly because of the VR - a personal problem with advancing arthritis and difficulty hand-holding any more. And I also liked the wider end - it really does make a difference in many situations, especially indoors. As good optically as anything I own, too. The short focal length on the long end isn't an issue as I also have the 80-400 VR.

You decide: is the wider 16 mm more valuable to you than the 18 mm?

You decide: is the 135 longer end more useful than 85 mm?

You decide: is VR important enough to spend the extra money? Your post sounds like VR isn't especially important, but it can open up lower light shooting opportunities you might bypass today.

You decide: is the cost of the 16-85 an obstacle?

Decisions: the budget approach is the 18-135 - just make sure you try before you buy, and you could get a really good lens for a budget-conscious price.  The 2 lenses can be optically pretty close to equal if you find a good 18-135, and if so, it boils down the which lens has the more useful zoom range, and whether VR is of value to you.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow