Started May 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
microuser
New MemberPosts: 17
Like?
GH3: RAW time lapse issue ?
May 29, 2013

I have noticed a weird problem with RAW time lapse on my GH3. I recently started using RAW images for time lapse because I can recover more detail from underexposed areas in post and get a wider dynamic range. I'm sorry for my poor english, I'll try to explain the best I can. Take a look at this video:

https://vimeo.com/66920197

You can see two time lapse tests that have been done with all manual settings (exposure, white balance, shutter speed and ISO). ISO levels are 125 for the first test and 200 for the outdoor time lapse. The clips marked with "A" are the RAW sequences straight from the camera, the ones marked with "B" have been modified in exposure with Camera RAW. As you can see, there is a noticeable color shift between some pictures: some of them tend to blue/green creating an ugly color flickering. This problem is evident in underexposed areas, especially after increasing exposure. I generally use a deflicker plugin for removing aperture flicker in a time lapse, but this solution can't work for color changes like this.

This is another time lapse test made in a room with a few light.

Picture 1 : RAW files before increasing exposure.

Picture 2:  Exposure increased a bit for all the shots, apparently everything's fine.

Picture 3 : Further exposure increase reveals a shot with a much different color.

Picture 4 : The blue shot compared to the others.

I have tried changing lens, but the problem has still happened. I tried many other software for editing raw files, but the color shift is still there. Sometimes the color shift can affects lot's of RAW photos, sometimes only a few why apparently no precise reason. I tried correcting manually the frames with shifted colors with no success.

This is very sad because the color flicker ruins the opportunity of using RAW for time lapse on the GH3.

- - - - - - - - -

If you want to replicate the issue:

1) Set all settings manually (WB,ISO,aperture,shutter speed).

2) Make a time lapse in a room with a few light in order to obtain underexposed images with shutter speed 1/40 or higher.

3) Shoot at least 50/100 pictures.

4) Check the RAW files and increase exposure even if you can see noticeable banding.

Can you see some pictures with an evident color shift in the sequence?

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow