Started May 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
nick_webster
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,660
Like?
What is Sigma's best value lens ?
May 29, 2013

A bit of fun where you can try to justify what you think Sigma's best value lens is. You'll be wrong of course, unless you agree with my choice , but it will be interesting to see what people think. You'll need to give a brief explanation and/or examples.

The winner is of course the Sigma 100 -300 mm f4 ex dg hsm apo for the following reasons

It has loads of acronyms

Optically really very good everywhere at all focal lengths and apertures : see here for proof - http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/369-sigma-af-100-300mm-f4-nikon it even has pretty reasonable bokeh

Built like a very solid thing indeed - can be used as a defensive weapon if required. Also weatherproof as I can attest having used one in the rain for hours.

Much more portable than its big brother the 120-300 f2.8. Much cheaper as well.

Unlike some of Sigma's offerings I'm not aware of any QC issues - all of them are good, no lemons to be found.

Has a real aperture ring - even more flexibility as it can be mounted on any number of ILC's as I have done with great success. No silly fudges to stop down the lens then you're stuck until you can fudge it again. Want f5.6 ? rotate the ring - easy peasy

Example :

Sharper in the original on my PC but you get the idea ...

So if you'd like to join in please let me know your choice,

Nick

Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow