Coming Back Again to the FZ200

Started May 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
GeraldW
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,890Gear list
Like?
Re: Coming Back Again to the FZ200
In reply to Zbyszek_Z, May 29, 2013

Thank you!  As you correctly guessed, cameras are an indulgeance I allow myself.  They go very well with travel; which we do as much as we can; but I also enjoy testing them and trying out new things.

Looking back at the progression of super zooms and the earleir "bridge" cameras like the Canon Pro 1 and Sony 828, they all started with fast lenses.  That was necessary because of high noise levels beginning at ISO 400.  Then, as noise reduction and sensor technology improved, the cameras began to increase the maximum ISO.  As noise decreased at ISO 400 and 800, the lenses could be made longer and slower - the loss of speed being offset to some degree by the availability of higher ISO.  Canon has taken this trend to the extreme of 24-1200 mm equivalent at f/3.4-6.5.  The same idiocy happened in the 90's with point and shoot 35 mm AF cameras.  As high ISO film got better and better, lenses got longer and slower.  The insanity culminated with a 200 mm f/13.5 lens, made possible by acceptable quality of ISO 800 film.

I see the same trend in small sensor, fixed lens cameras.  Sony's new HX50V has a 20 MP sensor and a 700+ mm lens in a compact body.

Rant over!  Thanks for posting.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow