Sergey_Green
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,852Gear list
Like?
Tamron are not 'class-leading' manufacturers - No one said it is
In reply to boggis the cat, May 29, 2013

boggis the cat wrote:

Sergey_Green wrote:

boggis the cat wrote:

So, this is a better lens, but considerably more expensive.  Possibly the latest Canon and Nikon 135 system equivalents will have caught up to this level of performance?  (Not at f/2, obviously, but putting that aside.)

Then there is the rather important fact that the Zuikos don't work on any APS-C or 135 body in any case.  So really it is a bit irrelevant to compare them as they are not options in themselves -- you must choose a system that will use the Zuikos if you want them.

The point I was making was not that 14-35 is of lesser value lens, the point I was trying to communicate is that Tamron is not a c-grade optic either.

No, but it is not "A-grade", either.

I think the original question was in which favour the equivalence would balance with  Tamron on D600 against Zuikos on E-5.

Tamron do not produce lenses to the same level as the high-end Canon and Nikon offerings.  (Or at least I am unaware of any Tamron lens that falls into that category.  They always have more compromises but cost significantly less.)

Tamron SP90 is regarded as a very good macro lens. I even used it for head shots, and it was not disappointing. As an example.

And this Tamron lens has worse optical issues than the FT lenses you were comparing it to -- you appeared to be implying that is was of comparable quality (or was when stopped down).

Yes, when putting it in front of the double-triple megapixel FF camera I see Tamron as a far better alternative.

Looking at these test results I can not say I am not impressed,

Tamron 24-70mm F2.8 VC Studio Tests

But as you say, it is irrelevant to compare them outside their systems. And since my Nikon 24-70/2.8 hardly gets any use on FF camera, I don't think I would ever have an interest in 24-70/4 variant if there was one.

The main advantage is that this provides an alternative option to those who do want such a lens.  The FourThirds system has not attracted enough third party support to provide many alternatives, and Panasonic did not produce a large range of lenses.

And this is the same reason why I went and bought D200 some years ago. There was no workable and with good AF macro lens in FT at that time, no affordable wa's, no fast primes. My first setup was Nikon 50/1.4, Tokina 12-24/4, Tamron sp90 macro, and Sigma 150/2.8 macro. Tamron was sold only because I liked Sigma more. I did use Olympus for lighter setup at that time, mostly for the bike trips.

Tamron appear to be developing MicroFT lenses, however, so it would seem that users of MicroFT systems have a widening selection of alternative lenses.  (Sigma are making APS-C lenses in MicroFT mount, as they did for standard FT.  This is less useful than producing lenses specifically tailored to the system sensor size.)

I agree.

-- hide signature --

- sergey

Sergey_Green's gear list:Sergey_Green's gear list
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Hmm.New
Yup!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow