Started Mar 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
Antony John
Contributing MemberPosts: 989Gear list
Like?
Re: D600 price drop soon. Also to be replaced by new D600S model
In reply to CFynn, May 29, 2013

CFynn wrote:

Initally many (most?) D600s  appear to have had this issue:

Many people who sent their cameras in to Nikon for this issue reported that Nikon changed a whole assembly in the camera - which would indicate some manufacuring defect, if not a design defect.

However reports of this issue seem to have died right down over the past couple of months or so - which suggests that Nikon have solved the issue. Now the number of new "dirty/oily" sensor reports are down to about the same level they are with any other new Nikon DSLR.

Where-as undoubtedly people have/do have problems with oil on the sensor the occurrence of oil on the sensor is not a design defect per se but rather a QC issue where excess oil (or grease) was added to the mechanism. This would seem to be the obvious cause as frequent cleanings do seem to appear to reduce the issue.

The D600 is not the only camera from Nikon or Canon that has suffered from the issue as has been pointed out in other posts.

My December purchased D600 doesn't have any oil issues - and there are reports of other users not having the issue - so I would surmise that Nikon identified the issue early on when the reports came through and did something about it.

My regrets that others have had this issue as it undermines the otherwise great IQ this camera is capable of.

-- hide signature --

AJ
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero

Antony John's gear list:Antony John's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D90 Nikon D600 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Higuma MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow