1920x1080 on a 17.3 monitor - justified ?

Started May 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
theswede
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,936Gear list
Like?
Re: 1920x1080 on a 17.3 monitor - justified ?
In reply to NewsyL, May 29, 2013

jubilatu may have been thinking about bit depth issues.  The vast majority of GPU/video cards only offer an 8bit path to the monitor.  A handful of video cards offer a true 10bit path to the external monitor (using Displayport to connect).

That is correct. I was going on too little sleep, so I blame that. 10 bit support in laptop GPU's is something I have never seen, but of course 8 bit wide gamut will work without issues. Even if Windows is really, really stupid about colorspaces.

The only other point to watch for is that you have a "Displayport" or "Dual Link DVI" port on the laptop to connect to the 2560x1440 27" as you need a high bandwidth connection for this resolution.  Analog VGA is not good enough and HDMI, while technically capable in theory, has not worked for some people.

I agree on this. Get a laptop with Displayport. Nothing else is worth the hassle.

Jesper

theswede's gear list:theswede's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony SLT-A37 Sony 50mm F1.4 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow