tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 17,994Gear list
Like?
Let me fix this for you.......
In reply to Joseph T Lewis III, May 29, 2013

Joseph T Lewis III wrote:

tedolf wrote:

joehawthorn wrote:

thank you to all the contributors...no I will not sell my OMD and appreciate the links which have clarified my settings (would have been better on S-AF). Am delighted with many of the photos I have taken and they are so much better than the Canon S90 I used previously. I do have the kit zoom and have been happy with it though the recent experience was at a children's party, indoors with moving targets. The 45 lens was fast enough to use with no flash.

If I can quote from the article I was directed to

"One thing Olympus Micro Four Thirds cameras are not, though, is intuitive out of the box. Combining feature rich with unintuitive can be a recipe for trouble, unfortunately, and the E-M5 suffers from this problem. Once the camera is set up properly it can be easy to use, but getting there is not easy. Olympi, and the E-M5 in particular, are obtuse."

I note the OMD setup guide from DPreview made similar comments. Perhaps I am looking for more trouble but what is the easiest way to set to take B and W (not the grainy scene option)

the easiest thing is to just get an E-pm2.

On either camera there is a B&W setting called "M" in the shooting quick menu.

I know, "M" in the menu is confusing with "M" on the control dial-they are not the same thing.

The E-pm2 does not have a control dial so you can't get confused.

TEdolph

Mr. Tedolph Sir,

Much of the time I admire the way you cut through the obfuscation and confusion and succinctly call a spade a spade, but I don't agree with you this time on your dogged, adamant insistence that an E-PM2 is the one and only camera for the OP.  I agree that it has a good sensor, but it does not have the knobs, wheels and dials that allow the

point-n-shoot upgrader to become hopelessly confused and frustrated

user to easily change the camera's settings.  If someone is interested in progressing in photography, it seems  to me that they would be better off (if they can afford it) to get a more full-featured camera to start with.  That way they can

be overwhelmed by the innumerable settings and confounded by the paper thin DOF

(over time, as they learn the principles of photography) advance from Auto mode up through Program, Av, Tv, and finally manual.  The entire time, the external controls will be there for them to

misuse and derail the basic education about exposure, DOF and focal lenght

use whenever they are ready to try something new.  If they go with an E-PM2 they will have an interface that

is as understandable as the P&S they came from

isn't much better than a P&S; hence, they will outgrow it and have to buy another camera a year or two down the line anyway.

I do agree that the OMD is probably not the simplest camera to learn

good

(I'd probably have suggested a used GH1 or GH2, or maybe a Sony A55 or A57), but if the OP already has the OMD and

can return it for a full refund or exchange it

is encouraged by some of the photos he's taken with it, it seems like swapping it for a simpler camera is

perfectly reasonable

a bit extreme.

One last point: I don't think that learning the basic fundamentals of photography is as extraordinarily difficult and frustrating as some make it out to be

it only difficult if you do not learn it in a structured environment

(at least not if the budding photographer goes into it with an open mind and is prepared to put forth some effort up front, which the OP seems willing to do).  I went from a Canon S2 IS superzoom directly to a Sony A350 SLR.  I bought several books and did a LOT of reading, along with hours of forum browsing and Google searches.  Within a couple of months I was pretty consistently getting photos that were (although admittedly not prize winners) good enough to make me and my family happy.  Although

I could have progresses much faster and easier if I simply had taken a course at the local Community College

my photos weren't (and never will be) masterpieces,

but they could be if I would get some formal training

I never had a moment where I threw my hands up in despair and said "this is so hard, it is hopeless" either.  On the contrary, I'd try a setting and if it didn't work, I'd try another one until I got the results I was expecting.

Of course, this trial and error form of learning any craft is the most error prone, slow and generates the least results of any method of learning

If I can do it, the OP should be able to

suffer just like I did!

as well.

Just my opinions and personal observations

-- hide signature --

Tom

Tedolph

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow