Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GeraldW
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,716Gear list
Like?
Coming Back Again to the FZ200
11 months ago

Some of you will recognize that I've previously had an FZ200 and FZ150 and sold off the FZ200 in favor of the FZ150.  Why?  In daylight, the FZ150 takes better pictures.  However...

...this afternoon a there was this squirrel, posing in a big old oak.  So, I wen6t and got my FZ150 and took some shots of him.  Plenty of zoom; but a storm was coming in, and the area was heavily wooded, and at ISO 800, the shutter speed was 1/25.  I got three out of seven decent shots; but two were spoiled by the squirrels movements, and two more were spoiled by me.  It drove home the benefits of the FZ200's f/2.8 lens.

And so, I now have another FZ200 on order.

In my comparisons of the two cameras (FZ150 and FZ200), I forgot something important.  You buy these things for the long lens.  Yes, they do have wider focal lengths, and hot shoes; but I have several other cameras that can do that, and they do it better.  The FZ's are in my inventory because they have long lenses.  And to make those long lenses maximally useful; they need the bigger aperture - otherwise, it's a bright light only camera.

The other question you might be asking is why buy now?  There may be a new and better FZ coming.  That's true; but I'm guessing it will be slower and longer.  There's also the possibility of Panasonic getting out of the fixed lens business.  Rumors abound after Panasonic's CEO's comments.  The fact is, they need to do something after losing $8 Billion USD last year.  So, I went witrh the certainty instead of the unknown.  And I know well the ins and outs of the FZ200.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Canon PowerShot S90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15 +1 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow