OMD settings: beginner

Started 11 months ago | Questions thread
Wafflebird
Junior MemberPosts: 48
Like?
Re: OMD settings: beginner
In reply to joehawthorn, 11 months ago

First off welcome Joe, you have an extremely capable camera and an exceptional lens. Know that and be happy. Up front I will state I am sorry for the length of this post but I want to be as helpful as possible, especially to ensure you keep the camera you have and grow into it. The statements recommending you get rid of it make about as much sense as telling someone who bought a Ferrari 599 GTO (or any supercar for that matter) to take it back because they can't drive it at top speed all of the time.

As has been indicated already there are many, many scene modes on the OMD (I have this camera by the way).

Without getting too technical for you but to supply you with some basic information, when a lot of people start out, and want to get away from the "Auto" mode they will go to the "A" Aperture mode. With this you control the depth of field. If you want to isolate your subject from the background you would go with a larger aperture such as a F2.8, 2.4, 1.8 (yes larger apertures are the smaller numbers, you may know this already and please know I am not trying to insult your knowledge). You should keep in mind however that your distance to the subject has a great effect on this. The closer you are the less of an area you will have that will be in focus. The great thing is that when you choose the aperture, the camera can pick the shutter speed, ISO all other settings. It would be a great place to start, also look at the data on the pictures you take and se what the shutter speed, and ISO were on the shots. This way you can start to see how the camera "Thinks" so to speak.

Also if you want to "Freeze" action you would want to select the "S" mode on the dial for shutter speed. For outdoors activities I would not go below 1/800th of a second, higher is usually better but hey, it is just data storage, no big deal. Play around, you will have many, Ahhhhhhhhhh moments which is part of what makes this hobby so great. That and you will capture some great moments along the way. When you select the shutter speed the camera will select the correct aperture and ISO for you.

Please note that this is if you keep the ISO on auto for both "A" and "S", if you change it it will then stay @ what you set it to. A lot of people set their auto ISO on the OMD to 3200, this is a matter of choice. How big of a print you will want to make out of any picture will play into how high you want your ISO. For 4X6” 8x10" prints don’t think twice about it.

Just so you know I have printed 20X30 inch prints (for a customer of mine) with the OMD, the capability of the camera and the quality of the photos you can capture are truly remarkable. I bought mine off of Amazon as I could not find one to actually look at. I can remember when it came and thinking wow this thing is small. I had an idea what it could do but it has continued to surprise me. You have already been directed to the DPreview OMD setup page, that is great and it should help you out. You can also do a search on the web as well for specific set up guides etc.

Read here on this forum as well and look at pictures others take and just basically absorb it.

I have the OMD and a Canon 7D, I love them both. Just keep shooting, read and study as you go along and don't be afraid to ask questions here, regardless of some of the unnecessarily negative feedback you may receive.

The next big step (which you would most likely want to consider a little down the road) is to shoot raw and edit your pictures in Lightroom or some other photo editing software. Once you begin to do this you will be able to unlock the true power of current digital imaging. In the meantime don't fret too much about that as Olympus has the best jpeg engine out there many say, I don't think I can disagree with that statement either having shot Nikon, Canon, Sony and Olympus.

Anyway again welcome to the forum, enjoy shooting and enjoy the fruits of learning, this is truly a very fun and rewarding hobby and a great time to jump in. What we have available to us today in a camera such as the OMD is in many ways much better than what was available with full frame cameras just a generation or two ago.

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-- hide signature --

My saying on pictures;
"If you don't take them you won't have them"

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow