I would like to discuss the aesthetics of photography...

Started May 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
Great Bustard
Forum ProPosts: 22,313
Like?
Re: Detail and false detail......
In reply to Joe Pineapples, May 29, 2013

Joe Pineapples wrote:

One of my favourite photographic exhibitions was of large format (8x10 or larger) contact prints.

I can make 8x10 inch prints with digital. 

These photographs were amazingly rich in detail, and there was something about that detail that was very pleasing - it drew your eye into the photographs, and I found myself visiting the gallery several times and going back to view my favourites.

Sure.

With digital photography we have fantastic image quality but also the phenomenon of false detail: aliasing artefacts created when the photo is taken, and sharpening artefacts created in PP.  These can give a photograph a tremendous immediate impact, but does that grow wearisome over time? My favourite photographs are the ones I go back to, not the ones that make me go "Wow!" right away.

Indeed.  However, would you say that such "over-the-top" processing is representative of the types of prints you would find in a gallery?  My experience is otherwise, but my experience is not necessarily representative.

However, these criticisms I would find more applicable at the level of the dpreview photo challenge than a professional art photography exhibition, so the comments quoted in the OP don't ring quite true to me;

Bingo.  That's what I was trying to say.

...but then it's okay to be a photo-bluffer and trash-talk some high-priced art photography occasionally...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
4MPNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow