Canon PIXMA PRO-100 Inkjet printer any good?

Started Feb 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
jtoolman
Senior MemberPosts: 4,156
Like?
Re: Question about the rebate
In reply to aman74, May 28, 2013

aman74 wrote:

Thanks for the help, I'm still trying to figure this all out.

-What was the reasoning for making sure to have two sets of OEM carts before starting? Makes me think I should try to get two printers if these rebates are still active.

So you will always have a full set of carts ready to go when ever ONE of your colors is low. Remember that you would have to disable ink monitoring so you have to TOTALLY guess about your ink levels. So since the carts are OPAQUE, you cannot visually check either. The ONLY way is to weigh an empty one with a Gram scale and weigh a full one. Then you would have to periodically weigh them. A total pain in the ***. That problem will not longer be an issue once we get a chip resetter available.

-The link you showed was that for refilling carts or for an actual replacement cart? I couldn't tell as it listed a cart number, but maybe that was just the OEM number and then it shows bottles of ink.

Only for the ink. There is nothing else available anywhere. DO not fall for the Ebay inks.

If replacement ink is cheap enough and you are saying to just fill them all up when one gets low then maybe it wouldn't be so bad.

The problem is, as I stated above, you have to weigh the carts to determine if they are low. If you choose to refill the OEM carts before a resetter is available you would have to disable each color initially becomes empty. The carts are opaque. so there is no way to tell how much ink is really in there.

It does seem though that if you did a lot of black and white printing you'd be running low on one color way before the others are close to empty and from what you were saying I'd then be replacing whole carts that are almost full.

So what! You are not replacing them or loosing any ink as these almost full carts would be topped off and put aside as a set till needed. And by the way, unless you are printing B&W through the Gray Scale setting, you are actually using color ink along side the blacks to produce either a neutral or toned image. So don't think for one second that you only use black inks for printing B&W. They will get used up.

I'm not doubting you're experience, just trying to see how it all works and if it's for me an what the costs will be like. Also, even though the up front costs are low with this printer I'm wondering if another model would have a lower long term cost of running if it had an aftermarket system that allowed say chip resetting, cart refilling, CIS, after-market carts, etc.....

Your only current options if you want to do dye ink printing is the PRO 9000MKII and the PRO-100 for Canon and for Epson, there is the Artisan 1430 or the same but older model Stylus Photo 1400

Epson does have better 3rd part inks and cart and CISS support.

If you want to get into Pigment ink printer, then a whole new world opens up.

My final suggestion is to YES, get one or even two PRO-100s with the current deals it's more like WHY NOT.

We will have great high quality 3rd party solution soon for this printer.

This is the very best DYE based printer in the world at this point in time.

Joe

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow