Which cheap NEX for manual lens use?

Started May 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
captura
Forum ProPosts: 12,778Gear list
Like?
Re: Which cheap NEX for manual lens use?
In reply to saintz, May 28, 2013

saintz wrote:

captura wrote:

Lightshow wrote:

captura wrote:

Lightshow wrote:

captura wrote:

saintz wrote:

What lens? This also matters.

There are 4 NEX sensors.

The 14MP sensor in the 3 and 5 has issues with light hitting at wide angles. This means that wide angle lenses and rangefinder lenses don't work as well and have blurry corners.

The 16MP sensor in the 5N has improved microlenses that work with wide lenses better.

The 16MP sensor with PDAF in the 5R and 6 have the same sensor but with better AF. This will be useless with manual lenses, although they do have extra dials for manual exposure.

The 24mp sensor in the 7.

If you're shooting normal lenses, like 50mm, then any model will do. If you're shooting wide lenses or using rangerfind lenses, get a 16MP sensor. The 5N is a good choice, but a little overkill because the touch screen is mostly useful for AF. The 3, 5, or C3 would be good cheap choices. The 5N would be a great choice. Anything above that is probably overkill.

What you said, "the 3 and 5 has issues with light hitting at wide angles.."

I have a 3 and I've never experienced this.

On the other hand, "...... has issues with light hitting at wide angles.." DOES apply to the NEX-7.

True(for the most part) if talking about RF WA(<35mm) lenses on the 7, not so with SLR lenses.

And I'll echo the 5N recommendations, till the 5R & 6 was released, it was the best all round manual focus body(I went with the 7 for the built in EVF).

And I'll echo your echo ...I only have experience with the 5R (additional to the 3.) I just wanted to point out your erroneous statement about the 3 and 5.

I made no statement about the 3 & 5, just the 7. So I'll clarify my statement.

SLR lenses work just fine on the 7, and some WA(<35mm) RF lenses work fine, while some-to-most have issues with color shift and possibly smearing, longer RF lenses don't have these issues.

My Elmarit M 28/2.8 2nd version has very little color shift, and most of my shots don't show it, just shots with big puffy white clouds.

What you said, "the 3 and 5 has issues with light hitting at wide angles.." I disagree.

He didn't say that, I did. You might disagree, but several users have posted examples here of lenses that have problems on the 14MP sensors and not on the 16MP sensors. Sony also agrees with me, hence why they introduced better microlenses on the 16MP sensors. Perhaps you are luck not to have any lenses that cause an issue?

First time I've heard such a thing. Do you have any examples or evidence of that. Was that posted somewhere?

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow