OMD Shutter shock revisited...and a possible solution inside!

Started May 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 17,094Gear list
Like?
Re: Shutter shock an OMD thing? An Oly thing? or m43 thing?
In reply to Big Ga, May 28, 2013

Big Ga wrote:

Anders W wrote:

OK. I simplified a bit when I said "instantaneous" since I didn't think it mattered for the point I was trying to make at that time

That's fair enough. I'm not trying to be pedantic here with the wording, just that as I tried to explain, I wasn't really up on the exact way that the EFC worked, and the 'instantaneous' threw me. All makes perfect sense now

Thinking on it, in the absence of a true global shutter, the Panasonic rolling shutter approach is theoretically a better way of doing it (albeit not at the moment), since electronic readout can always be increased in speed, whereas the current EFCS method, if I've understood it correctly, will always be limited at its current speed, which is based on the mechanical opening and closing of the shutter assembly (which itself must currently suffer from the jello effect as well, just not as badly as the current Panny implementation)

Not sure what to make of that. At the moment, the purely electronic but (rather slowly) rolling shutter approach used by Panasonic is in my view inferior to EFCS.

Hmmm. I guess it depends how and what you shoot. Personally, I find the TOTAL lack of any shutter operation an absolute godsend, not only in the total and utter silence (well .... assuming you're shooting wide open anyway LOL), but also the total freedom from any sort of shutter shock. This really has made a huge difference to the use of the 14-42 and 45-175 x lenses. I also don't get any jello effect, but I realise that's down to subject matter. It just never affects what I shoot 99.999% of the time!

I wasn't saying that the rolling electronic shutter on recent Panasonics is useless. I am sure it is of great help in some cases. I am just saying that if I could choose, I'd rather have EFCS (provided the evidence that it eliminates the shutter shock completely is correct).

And when reset and readout becomes fast enough for the first approach to compete with the second, we will effectively have a global electronic shutter (i.e., an electronic shutter that is better than the mechanical from all rather than just some points of view).

I agree, apart from the 'we will'. This should read 'we should'.

No, I meant "we will" rather than "we should". In other words, what I am trying to say is that a sufficiently fast rolling electronic shutter is effectively the same as a global electronic shutter. For me (and I suspect most others), a global electronic shutter effectively means an electronic shutter that can operate fast enough to reach, at the very least, parity in all regards with a mechanical shutter. The reset/readout doesn't have to be perfectly global/instantaneous for that to happens. All it takes is that the reset/readout can "roll" as fast as current mechanical shutters can.

In practice, however, it might possibly be that the global electronic shutter, when it finally arrives, won't roll but will indeed be global (all pixels reset and read during the same short time interval). Such shutters do in fact exist already. It's just that they haven't been implemented on any large-sensor or system camera yet, as far as I am aware.

If we do, I agree. If however there is a significant delay in successfully introducing it compared to the speeding up of the readout method, then there will be a period of time when a fast rolling shutter method will be the 'better' option.

See above.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow