Testing the new LED100WA-56 Light with Bowens Softbox Mount

Started May 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
Tom Meeks
Senior MemberPosts: 2,939Gear list
Like?
Strobe Images for Comparison
In reply to Tom Meeks, May 28, 2013

The following image as taken under Photoflex StarFlash 150w/s lighting set to 1/3 power.  There are very big differences in the levels of the output compared to even the least powerul of my monolights.  Whereas I shot at ISO 800, Shutter 1/100 at f6.3 with the LED lights, this image was taken at ISO 100, Shutter 1/100 at f9!

So, make no mistake about it.  You will need a camera that can do high ISO cleanly to use these lights as your primary lighting source.  But, what we are most concerned about in these tests, since the lights will be used primarily with video, is color fidelity when compared to the most commonly used studio monolights.

Here is the unprocessed image...

X-Rite Color Checker under 5600K Monolight - Unprocessed

I was a bit surprised to see that the lower left White had an RGB value of 246,246, 255 and that the lower right black RGB came in at 27,27,35.  In both cases the Red values were notably higher.

The Processed Image under Moonolight Strobes.

When color corrected using the same patch that was used to color the LED lighting, the RGB results were even more surprising than those of the unprocessed version.  The lower white RGB became 253,245,242 and the lower right black RGB became 10,8,8.

In my next post, I will try to do direct comparisons across multiple colors.

Tom Meeks's gear list:Tom Meeks's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow