Canon S95 - weird spot in middle of photo

Started Aug 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
Tjalpics
Regular MemberPosts: 158
Like?
Re: Canon S95 - weird spot in middle of photo
In reply to VNdC, 11 months ago

Maybe you both have some residual moisture inside your camera, which shows its ugly head every time you switch between moist/cold and dry/warm environments. Best practice: bury it in a bag of uncooked, dry rice for 24 hours at least.

If it's (a) spot(s) on the sensor or lens: it is not so hard to open up a compact as you might think. Of course there's always a risk, but if you can't use the camera because of the spot, maybe it's worth the risk. Make sure your grounded when opening up!

I took apart two cameras. Although they're both Panasonic (Leica), most cameras have the same components which are arranged in more or less the same way. The sensor (white circle) sits often directly under a shield behind the casing:

However, cleaning the sensor will not always solve the problem. When you unscrew the sensor-unit, there's an ir-filter in front of the lens which can also be dirty. (white circle)

Then, depending on the build, there can be plastic (top) or glass (right) elements surrounding the lens-unit (left), which can also be dirty -or moist:

It's precision work, but doable. I'm no technician and didn't have any experience, but with the help of a 'Service Manual' (which can often be found online) and some Youtube examples, I successfully cleaned the sensors and lenses of both cameras.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow