Did Nikon screw up?

Started May 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
AZBlue
Contributing MemberPosts: 864Gear list
Like?
Re: I think...
In reply to SubPrime, May 28, 2013

SubPrime wrote:
If you have 2 or more lenses capable of resolving more than 36mpx, then they will all record the same resolution from the D800 sensor seeing as the sensor is the limiting factor.

"The D800′s ultra-high resolution sensor can provide amazing detail. Not every lens (in fact, not most lenses) are going to be able to give you the maximum resolution the camera is capable of.  This list isn’t about great lenses, it’s about what lenses can wring the most resolution out of a D800 when you need every ounce of resolution"

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/03/d800-lens-selection

I agree with the above assessment. While my 80-200 f/2.8 ED produced what seemed like great images on my old N90S film camera, it appears woefully inadequate on the D800. N90S was used to make 35mm transparencies which were then viewed with a loupe on a light table. D800 files are pixel peeped. So it's possible that the lens was inadequate on the N90S, but I couldn't tell because back in those days you would never be looking at an image at the pixel level. Or rarely anyway.

-- hide signature --

"I've been in more laps than a napkin" - Mae West

AZBlue's gear list:AZBlue's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow