Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Sunshine_boy
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,285Gear list
Like?
Re: Currency equivalent!...
In reply to blue_cheese, 11 months ago

blue_cheese wrote:

Sunshine_boy wrote:

That's because the FX value is a universal constant regardless of the camera it is mounted on,

Really now? Im curious how a 35mm format lens would fit on a medium format camera, I don't see any medum format shooters grandstanding that their sensor should be the be baseline reference for focal length to FOV relationship.

(Obviously) I was referring to 35mm format cameras from various manufacturers. Until the time we all own a medium format camera and just a few poor souls have to make do with 'only' 35mm format cams!..

as the other posters pointed out. All you need to know is the 'crop factor' of your camera/sensor and multiply it by the indicated FL. Crop factors vary. Nikon's DX factor is 1.5, Canon's is 1.6 etc. So, a 200mm lens would be 200mm on any FF cam, 300mm on a Nikon DX and 320mm on a Canon DX.

No as others pointed out, the focal length is an attribute of the lens and does not change based on the camera. What changes is the FOV and possibly the amount of vignetting of the image cirlce

I never suggested that the focal length of the lens changes... I agree with your comments on FOV.

Look at it in the same way as specifying a 'value' of a house expressing it in US dollars without having to bother expressing it in half a dozen other major currencies... 

And this is why Canadians have bought up half of Florida

LOL!... 

-- hide signature --

Best Regards
Sunshine
Visit my website for lots of pics and fun...
www.sunshine-web.com
ps If you see someone without a smile on, give him one of yours...

Sunshine_boy's gear list:Sunshine_boy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix S6000fd Olympus C-4000 Zoom Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D60
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
TrueNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow