Correction: NOT WSJ but Yahoo Finance: Olympus one of 10 brands to disappear in 2014

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,895Gear list
Like?
Re: The Olympus Brand will not disappear
In reply to Marty4650, 11 months ago

Marty4650 wrote:

The Imaging Division might have a new owner, but the brand "Olympus" will not disappear.

The brand name is simply too valuable, not matter what the profitability of the imaging division is today. Someone will want it, and the brand will live on. Brands like Vivitar and Polaroid still live, even though those companies are long gone.

well Olympus sells its scientinstead medical instruments under that name, so I can't see them selling that brand : it is not as if it was only limited to ther cameras. Once I visited a gastro-enterologist, I was surprised to find the exact same Olympus logo we have on the cameras boxes on his instruments.

I wouldn't even be shocked if Canon or Ricoh were to acquire the Olympus imaging division just for their M4/3 products, which are decidedly better than their own MILC efforts (EOS M and Q). I would include Panasonic in this, if they weren't struggling themselves, and Sony has their hands full with NEX.

I don't think it makes much sense. Before drawing any hasty conclusion, as to what Olympus will d with the photo divsion, we should first know whether there aren't any synergy between the medical optical instruments R&D and the photo gear R&D : may the that one is benefiting from the other.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

rrr_hhh's gear list:rrr_hhh's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow