Another hyperfocal distance question for landscape photography...

Started May 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
HEA-45
Regular MemberPosts: 254Gear list
Like?
Another hyperfocal distance question for landscape photography...
May 28, 2013

Let's set a scenario: I am in a flat, wide-open, grassy field with a single tree in front of me. I have a cropped sensor Nikon D300S with a 50mm lens. A hyperfocal distance chart says that I can set my camera ~103' from that tree, focus on that tree, and use an f/4 aperture for maximum depth of field. However, I can also set, focus, and use an f/16 aperture at a distance of ~26'. At first glance this runs contrary to everything I've read about landscape photography where small apertures (like f/16) will yeild the greatest depth of field. I always thought large apertures like f/4 were an anathema to landscape photographers (and a boon to portrait photographers) because of the shallow depth of field. Is my understanding correct?

HEA-45's gear list:HEA-45's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +11 more
Nikon D300S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow