Colour variations between Canon DPP and PS Elements

Started May 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 13,007
Like?
A less obvious cause. . .
In reply to Andrew T Leigh, May 28, 2013

You might need color calibration tools to make sure all your software displays color in the same way.  However, I've encountered another variable that can cause perceived color shift.  And it is one that can cause the poor innocent photographer all sorts of grief.

I discovered this when I was exporting a photo from ACDSee Pro 6 to ACDSee Photo Editor 6.  The color seemed to shift, and I was VERY surprised!  I would think the two products would display color in the exact same way!  Well they DO, but environmental issues made me perceive a color shift that wasn't there.

ACDSee Pro 6 has the modern Charcoal color theme, I've discovered that this provides the illusion of deeper more saturated colors.  ACDSee Photo Editor 6, has ONLY the silver light gray theme and I've discovered that this creates the illusion of a more washed out image even though the colors are presented the same way as in the charcoal theme.  I spent a great deal of time trying to adjust colors that didn't NEED adjusting.

I was unable to change the editor's theme to charcoal (That is SO 2008!).  But I  was able to change ACDSee Pro 6's theme to a silver Light Gray theme, and I was able to prove that the two products DO display color in the exact same way.  There was no variation between the two at all.

So before you buy color calibration tools, first make sure that the background that the photos 'rest' on, on your screen in all your software, are as close to each other as possible.  You might discover that the differences you see are perceptual and not real or at least much closer together than you think.

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .
Now that you've judged the quality of my typing, take a look at my photos. . .
http://www.jpgmag.com/people/glenbarrington/photos

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow