Correction: NOT WSJ but Yahoo Finance: Olympus one of 10 brands to disappear in 2014

Started May 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sergey Borachev
Senior MemberPosts: 2,513Gear list
Like?
Re: A few thoughts
In reply to Franka T.L., May 28, 2013

Franka T.L. wrote:

humbly may I remark ... Sony do not invest in Olympus the brand nor just the imaging division, Sony the corp invest in Olympus the corp , initially aiming to facilitate the optical expertise of Olympus for its own imaging division, but can elaborate from there. So if Olympus the brand as an consumer imaging mfr goes, fails, it won't do Sony a single bit harm ... after all the imaging division among all within Olympus is the bad blood , a fact we all had to recognize.

The really bad (in a commercial sense) blood is the E-series, the 4/3, and it is still there poisoning the whole body. It should have been cut off after the E-3.  Now, they are seeing the P&S business going bad.  The real deal is M43.  It has big potential in future and seems to be bearing fruit.  Not quite ripe, but I think any investor can see that potential.  If Sony was thinking of doing a Hoya, i.e. swallowing/selling the good bits (in Pentax) and spitting out or selling the bad and not interested in developing or revitalising the business, it would have already done something similar, or even required something like selling off or some splitting up as part of the rescue deal.  They didn't and I think their examination of Olympus' financials and viability was the reason. My opinion.

To be honest, I am skeptical about the E-M6 being superlative and tough build, that is after the E-M5 which pales against the like of E-5 , but I am cautious optimistic about Olympus the brand. at least for the short term ... Japanese Corporate Culture at play basically.

My comment about the E-M6 having to be really tough and reliable was a joke, i.e. it must last (if there will not be any more if Olympus should disappear as speculated).  I do not expect it to be any tougher than the E-M5.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow