OM-D E-M5 vs E-5 (build quality)

Started May 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
windsprite
Senior MemberPosts: 2,031Gear list
Like?
Re: Oh, here we go again...
In reply to philosomatographer, May 28, 2013

philosomatographer wrote:

From these prepositions, we can conclude that my statement - "puts mostother systems to shame" - is in fact reasonable. Luckily, now having seen the results of large prints, I do not have to construct logical arguments to prove this point to myself - my eyes did it for me

I have always maintained that this argument holds for the other Olympus Super High Grade lenses also - e.g. the 14-35mm, and the 35-100mm. These lenses have no equal in the world of SLRs (as can be - and has been - demonstrated. Both explicitly, and by logical deduction - such as where these zooms massively outperform Leica M-mount lenses, lenses the superiority of which over typical SLR lenses nobody in their right mind questions).

I don't know much about Canon, Sony, etc., but the general consensus from people who have actually owned both versions of Oly SHG and high-end Nikon "holy trinity" lenses seems to be:

- the 24-70/2.8 is the better workhorse lens than the 14-35/2 (faster AF, wider zoom range, more DOF control, etc.), while the 14-35 is better optically.

- the 35-100/2 is excellent, but the 70-200/2.8 VRII is better

- the 7-14/4 and 14-24/2.8 have different strengths and weaknesses, which balance out to make these two lenses about equal

The boring truth is that the high-end Olympus glass doesn't trounce that of the big boys in every possible way; on average it's probably only in about the same excellent class.

Ho hum!

Julie

windsprite's gear list:windsprite's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Fujifilm FinePix F550 EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D2H Nikon D300 +36 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Hmm.New
Yup!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow