What do you load on to SSD?

Started May 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Ho72
Senior MemberPosts: 1,537
Like?
Re: What do you load on to SSD?
In reply to Robert Schoner, May 27, 2013

You might as well follow the advice you've been given because everyone is doing it that way (OS and apps on SSD). I can tell you from experience though that once everything is loaded and cached in RAM that the SSD's advantage is minimal.

As an experiment, I loaded Win8 and my apps on a Samsung 830 256GB SSD. I recorded load times for various software like Photoshop and Lightroom and I also used that config long enough to get the general feel of the system.

Then I loaded everything on a Velociraptor 250GB spinner and ran the tests again. The clear win for the SSD was boot time and initial app loads. Wins 7&8 have very good caching schemes and once an app is cached, the second load is very quick. With the Raptor, Photoshop loads a little over two seconds, LR is a little slower, loading in 4 seconds. Explorer (or File Explorer as it's now called) is just there instantly; same for IE. Since I reboot once in a blue moon, I don't see a speed penalty very often.

So what do I put on my SSD? Scratch, working files (images), LR catalog, Camera raw cache, and any other file that will benefit from the speed of the SSD. I realize that I'm not following conventional wisdom, but I've never given a rat's patoot about conventional wisdom. If I thought I was paying a large performance penalty by using a Raptor for my system disk I wouldn't be doing so. My own experience says that I'm not.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow