When size matters (D800 pixel count)

Started May 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
yray
Contributing MemberPosts: 923
Like?
Re: When size matters (D800 pixel count)
In reply to ormdig, May 27, 2013

ormdig wrote:

digitalman4242 wrote:

Nice.  But is it worth paying for and having your files be huge? How often will most people use a crop like that?  Most people would rather have a few less megapixels and a little more low light/high iso capability.

I strongly disagree. I find the ability to crop heavily with the D800 worth every bit of the cost of storage. Look at the detail in the OP's second post. You can't do that with "less megapixels". It essentially extends the long end of any lens, making possible shots that were heretofore impossible without a longer lens.

If the ability to crop is the entire point -- why not just get a nice and relatively cheap D7000 or D7100 ?.. Or is the real issue here the inability to frame?

As for low light/high ISO capability, what are you comparing it with? I can auto focus in low light in a consistent manner I only dreamed of before. The noise at ISO 4000 is easily taken care of in PP with no apparent loss of detail, again only a dream before. I have seen posted shots at ISO6400 that are very detailed.

Try to crop at ISO 6400 and see how much you like the results...

The truth is that you can't have the cake and eat it too. If you want high ISO you can't crop much, and if you want to crop a lot then your high ISO performance degrades quite a bit.

What I find really amazing is that the D800 still remains as controversial as it is. It is as if its owners want to put it on a pedestal as the ultimate in IQ for all times. I personally get it, D800 is a fine camera for those who need its capabilities, I don't question it, but I do wonder what kind of insecurity drives this need to defend D800 at every turn and where it comes from. What if D800 is not the ultimate, what if the king has no clothes... oh dear...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Yes.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow