I think shutter speed has been degrading my focus.

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BlueJakester
Senior MemberPosts: 1,544Gear list
Like?
I think shutter speed has been degrading my focus.
11 months ago

Don't get excited, it's a photo of some tree bark

I've been dissatisfied with the IQ I've been getting with my D3100 and inexpensive glass ~ 18-55 and 55-200. Just not enough clarity.

This morning I went to my local park and shot several test photos at different settings and focal lengths. Reviewing them all in LR, zooming in and out, the common denominator on the poor clarity images appears to be shutter speed.

Here is a photo of some high detail bark in direct sunlight. 1/500, F/8, ISO 200, 86mm (was trying for 85mm).

Zoomed in on my 27" iMac display I was satisfied with the clarity. It's not excellent, but this is a very inexpensive lens on a 3 yr old entry level camera.

I think I definitely need to keep the shutter speed quick. At 250 or more and avoid the low-light shots with this setup. Does that sound correct?

BlueJakester's gear list:BlueJakester's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM
Nikon D3100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow