Correction: NOT WSJ but Yahoo Finance: Olympus one of 10 brands to disappear in 2014

Started May 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Marty4650
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,593Gear list
Like?
The Olympus Brand will not disappear
In reply to dpreviewreader, May 27, 2013

The Imaging Division might have a new owner, but the brand "Olympus" will not disappear.

The brand name is simply too valuable, not matter what the profitability of the imaging division is today. Someone will want it, and the brand will live on. Brands like Vivitar and Polaroid still live, even though those companies are long gone.

I wouldn't even be shocked if Canon or Ricoh were to acquire the Olympus imaging division just for their M4/3 products, which are decidedly better than their own MILC efforts (EOS M and Q). I would include Panasonic in this, if they weren't struggling themselves, and Sony has their hands full with NEX.

The only really valuable products `the Olympus Imaging division has is their M4/3 cameras, and to a much lesser extent their Tough cameras and XZ high end compact cameras.

There will be a market for MILC cameras until someone can invent a smartphone that can equal their image quality. I just don't see people who wanted smaller and lighter high quality cameras moving back to DSLRs.

MILC isn't a mass market product but a niche market one that will continue to grow. It is really a subset of the "Interchangeable lens camera" market, and one that is difficult for smartphones to compete with.

Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow