Started May 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
tbcass
Forum ProPosts: 17,523Gear list
Like?
Re: What about resolution?
In reply to mariadc, May 27, 2013

mariadc wrote:

tbcass wrote:

The 40D is only 10mp while the 5D MK III is 22 mp. Compare full size images from each camera and you will see the MK III has much more detail.

-- hide signature --

I agree.  I was thinking of downgrading to 50D to save money.  I took shots and compared them to my 6D.  The detail is completely missing.  I don't know how the OP got the results he did, but in my own real-life tests, I see a huge difference.  And believe me, I wanted to save money.  But I just can't bring myself to go back after seeing what a hit in detail I would take, even cropping in more with a 6D.

People often make the same mistake when comparing noise and claiming that greater pixel density adds noise. It does not. The amount of noise is dependent on the total light gathered by the sensor so all things being equal as far as sensor technology a larger sensor will have less noise than a smaller sensor regardless of pixel density. What does happen is the sensor with greater density has greater resolution which results in greater image size when viewed on screen at 100%. It's this greater "magnification" which makes noise more visible.

-- hide signature --
 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
LOLNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow