New to Sony (RX1), protection plans any good?

Started May 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
elliottnewcomb
Senior MemberPosts: 6,310Gear list
Like?
Re: New to Sony (RX1), protection plans any good?
In reply to Mikee, May 27, 2013

IMO, several thoughts

Stories on the forum indicate to me that Sony is pretty good, the biggest concerns I have seen are coverage in foreign lands.

Over the years, I have benefited from longer, and sometimes accidental protection plans. I live near Mack camera in NJ and they have been quite responsive.

I think I am careful but I dropped my S85 onto a marble floor, I dropped my R1 onto bricks, horrified both times. I had clear glass lens protectors on both, that is not possible with these models. Those two bodies can take a shot.

Damaging just the DSLR removable lens, not the body, is not the case with fixed lens cameras.

Miniature, complex, portable, slippery, careful or not, I got Sony's 2 year accidental coverage for my rx100. Sony was good on a laptop issue for me.

rx100 and RX1 both are new models, no longevity known, it is a risk without coverage.

If I was buying the pricey RX1, I would add the protection plan in the price and use that figure in my yes/no decision.

Average the extra cost over the years of coverage, and know if any real problem develops, it will probably surface in those years.

If you go to sell it, if it has a transferable warranty, that is a big comfort to a buyer.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow