Does the D7100 fine grain noise at low ISO's disappoint you?

Started May 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Blindman
Contributing MemberPosts: 951
Like?
Does the D7100 fine grain noise at low ISO's disappoint you?
May 27, 2013

Have several thousand pictures so far and there is a fair amount of noise in almost all pics - even at ISO 200 (particularly when the lighting isn't perfect). My D7000 didn't show much noise until over ISO 1000. While you need to view at 100% to see the noise clearly it does make the pictures a bit less clean at any viewing size. Thankfully, you don't lose much sharpness when applying a fair amount of noise reduction - which I do for almost all D7100 pictures (on D7000 mostly used over ISO 1600).

While I know that it is a result of the ever-smaller photosites caused by cramming 24 MP onto the dx sensor, I'm just curious if anyone else (particularly if you're coming from the D7000) find it to be the weakest point in an otherwise nice upgrade from the D7000?

BTW, my favorite new feature is the auto ISO implementation, then the focus system, next is the improved LCD visibility in sunshine, and finally the extra pixels.

-- hide signature --

John

Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow