Correction: NOT WSJ but Yahoo Finance: Olympus one of 10 brands to disappear in 2014

Started May 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
peevee1
Senior MemberPosts: 6,247Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus should bring back DSLRs to satisfy the American market
In reply to RichRMA, May 27, 2013

RichRMA wrote:

Go out in the streets of North America and take a look.  How often do you see a car that isn't grey, white or black these days?  Americans are so conformist now it's like the 1950's.  So perhaps Olympus needs to bring DSLR's back?

The writer is right about the fact Olympus cannot continue to lose money.  They can't expect their medical division to pick-up the slack from the money-losing camera division.  What is interesting however is that with 7% of the market a camera company can't make any money.  In the 70's, you had five major brands (Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Minolta, Pentax) and several sub-brands and they seemed to be doing ok back then, even though some of them must have only had the kind of market share Olympus has now.

Of course they can make money. They (and not only Oly, but everybody) just underestimated contraction in "cheap P&S" market and invested too much into the new models (i.e. too much cost). I guess Pentax exited the market first, Oly next if I am not mistaken. The real problem is for Casio and chinese knock-off makers (still using names like Kodak, Polaroid, GE...) who do not have anything else. Others will reduce presence or exit the market and retreat to bridge, tough, mirrorless, SLRs... large sensor fixed FL fixed lens is a tiny niche which was taken by Fuji and I don't think anybody else (including Nikon and Ricoh) will have any success.

Some consolidation is in order, I personally think Pentax/Ricoh will die (exit the camera market) first.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow