Correction: NOT WSJ but Yahoo Finance: Olympus one of 10 brands to disappear in 2014

Started May 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
KenBalbari
Regular MemberPosts: 275Gear list
Like?
Re: WSJ: Olympus one of 10 brands to disappear in 2014
In reply to dpreviewreader, May 26, 2013

Lets be clear about what the article is predicting.  He's saying that Olympus digital cameras will not be sold in the US by the end of 2014.   He is not forecasting the demise of their medical imaging business.  He is not limiting it to point and shoot. The claim is "The Olympus digital camera also will disappear from store shelves by the end of 2014."

It's not an outrageous claim.  Olympus cameras are already hard to find in stores in the US. I think the author hasn't really accounted for the success of mirrorless cameras, though.  He seems to even be unaware of the segment, or not to understand the difference from SLRs.  The claim that Olympus will "focus on increasing sales of SLR cameras" strikes me as ill-informed.

I'm not sure that the author understands that Olympus could exit both the compact point and shoot and SLR businesses while restoring their digital camera brand to profitability.

KenBalbari's gear list:KenBalbari's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Olympus E-330 Olympus PEN E-PL2
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow